J.K. Simmons discussed the tension between Will Pope and Brenda on The Closer

By: Start TV Staff     Posted: February 27, 2019, 12:40PM

J.K. Simmons made his name as a tough guy on crime TV shows like Oz and Law & Order, but on The Closer, he had a different kind of force to contend with: his ex, Brenda Leigh Johnson. The whole show begins when Simmons' character Will Pope brings Brenda into the Los Angeles Police Department, only to realize that he has residual feelings for Brenda. We quickly learn the pair has a lot of history, when it's revealed that they've had an extramarital affair.

Not only that, but Brenda wanted him to end his marriage, and he wouldn't, only to later divorce his wife following an affair with yet another woman. By the time he and Brenda reunite, he's newly single from his second failed marriage, and must navigate the tension he feels with Brenda, as he brings her under his command.

This, naturally, gets in the way of Pope's ability to manage Brenda, resulting in Pope getting in Brenda's way more than maximizing her potential as "the closer" on his force.

In an interview with TV Guide, J.K. Simmons summed up the tension between Will Pope and Brenda, admitting that his character's slightly less professional when it comes to the Deputy Chief, "He's absolutely capable of [treating Brenda professionally]. But we're shooting an episode now where his concern for Brenda will affect his behavior and the way he reacts." He went on to say that in his view of the character, there was a lot more history of romantic deviance than just his affairs with Brenda and his second wife, "I'm guessing that Brenda is not Pope's only inappropriate dalliance with a partner from work. He's definitely a bit of a hound dog. I'm sure that's gotten him into hot water in the past, and if I have anything to say about it, it'll get him in trouble again."

In the course of the series, Pope is obviously protective of Brenda, standing up for her when he maybe shouldn't, and continually seeking her approval. But both characters also have to deal with jealousy, which Simmons points out when it comes to Brenda is a continual factor "despite the fact that she has no intention of being involved with him again." (Brenda's complexities on The Closer never end.)

But when it comes to Will Pope, despite his devious sub-plots, he's not a romantic, he's a professional. And Simmons also explained how Will Pope's greater ambitions influenced his character's arc on The Closer, "He's a political animal, and I don't think he sees assistant chief as the end of his career. A run for elected office is a possibility. But he's a single father now, and that tempers the extent to which he can be a workaholic."

Watch The Closer on Start TV

EVERY DAY AT 6 PM & 7 PM EASTERN

Jon 7 hours ago

God bless Dr. Myron for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HIV since 2010 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HIV. out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HIV i saw a comment about Dr. Myron, how he cured HIV with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS SPEED POST. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 8 days later i was cured from HIV/HERPES,thank you drmyronherbaltemple@gmail.com Dr Myron ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU SIR
Dr Myron cure the flowing virus, call/text his united state branch on +12017491958 or add his Africa branch on whatsapp and call +2348158836673

1 cancer cure

7 Hiv
8 get your ex back
9 pregnancy herbal medicine
10 prostate enlargement
11 Hepatitis B
Victoria 1 day ago
I'm Lender, If getting herpes cure was that easy then why do people still suffer from herpes?I was diagnosed of herpes back in 2014 and i was also told it has no cure,I have been leaving with it since then, but i kept praying and doing everything possible to get cured, so i never stop doing research about finding a cure,Ii came across testimonies about people getting cured through herbal medication and i have always believe in herbs and its medical properties, after doing so many research about it i found Dr. Aziza and I discovered he was a professional in herbal medication and he has also helped many people,I contacted him through his mail: Solutioncenterhome@gmail.com, solutioncenterhome@outlook.com drazizaspelltemple85@gmail.com or +2347087771434 we talked on phone and i confirmed he was genuine,I did all what he told me to do, i received the medicine,use it as he prescribed,and glory be to God almighty i am completely cured, i went back to my doctor to confirm it.Do not be deceived THERE IS A CURE FOR HERPES. He is
also good in saving you
from any kind of diseases like Herpes .HIV/aids Gonorrhea,Cardiac problem,Hpv cure
Cancer
Watering sperm
Womb fertilization
Penis erection
Witch craft attack
S T D diseases
Internal heat
Rashes
Fibroid
Low sperm count
Dairy
long time sickness I promise I will always testify for your good work. drazizaspelltemple85@gmail.com Or Solutioncenterhome@gmail.com
contact +2347087771434 what's App as well Good luck
Rashes
Fibroid
Low sperm count
Dairy
contact +2347087771434 what's App as well Good luck
ibrahim 2 days ago
I'm here to testify about the great work Dr Okougbe did for me. I have been suffering from Herpes virus for the past 5 years and had constant pain, especially in my vigina. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This virus started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came across a testimony of one lady on the internet testifying about a Man called Dr Okougbe on how he cured her from Herpes type 1 and 2 virus. And she also gave the email address of this man and advise anybody to contact him for help for any kind of sickness that he would be of help, so I emailed him telling him about my Herpes virus he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! Well i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as Dr Okougbe assured me that i will be cured,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can contact drokougbespecialhome@gmail.com OR whatsapp him on +2348119278442 NOTE THAT THIS GREAT MAN CAN CURE ANY TYPES OF SICKNESS OKAY (1) diabetes (2) hiv (3) herpes (4) penis enlargement (5) hepatitis A B C (6) Cancer (7) zika virus (8) pregnancy (9) molluscum (10) plantar ware (11) Lupus (12) Pagets disease of bone leprosy
MegHernandez 6 days ago
When i first heard about herbal remedy i never believe on such word until i found dr ehi a great traditional doctor that was introduced to me by a friend that suffered from Hepatitis B and was cure with the help of this great herbal doctor (dr ehi) so i decided to contact him for help in getting rid of my families genital herpes virus 1/2 which i did and all i was told to provide was just some useful information and some materials use in preparation of the natural cure and that i did and now i am the happiest person on earth because i am writing this testimony of mine with joy and happiness in my heart to the whole world to know that natural remedy is real because i am a living testimony of dr ehi's traditional herbal cure and i want you all to contact dr ehi via his email: shomorikasolutiontemple@hotmail.com or whatsapp him 2349035080936 am sure he will help you too.