StartTV is now available nationwide on DISH Network. Click Where to Watch for channel positions.

5 major facts about Major Crimes

By: Start TV Staff    Posted: September 4, 2020, 2:20PM

Though a spin-off to the highly acclaimed crime drama The Closer, Major Crimes quickly rose above all expectations and stood firmly as one of the best breakout series on television for six seasons. While featuring familiar faces and cast, Major Crimes was able to successfully acquire its own tone, focusing on the slow-and-steady procedural steps to justice in major crimes cases.

But do you know everything about the hit crime drama? Here are some major facts about Major Crimes.

Major Crimes was a hit from the start.

On its initial premiere Major Crimes landed a record breaking 7 million views, making it the most successful television premiere on cable television.

Brenda almost made a surprise guest appearance.

Former star of The Closer Kyra Sedgwick was in talks to reprise her role for a special three-episode event. Unfortunately, they weren't able to align schedules in time to make it happen prior to the show's cancelation.

They got the real mayor of L.A. to play the fake mayor of L.A.

Eric Garcetti, who played Los Angeles mayor "Ramon Quintero" in both Major Crimes and The Closer was actually elected as Mayor of Los Angeles in real life in 2013. He first appeared on Major Crimes in "Long Shot" in 2012, a year before taking office. He returned in 2016 for "Hindsight, Part 5."

Sharon's estranged husband was her old stage spouse.

Tom Berenger, who played Sharon’s estranged husband, Jackson “Jack” Raydor, had played as Mary McDonnel’s spouse before. In 1988, the two up-and-coming actors were a couple in National Anthems, a drama staged at the Long Wharf Theater. Kevin Spacey played their neighbor in the production.

Spin-off of a spin-off…?

Despite the series cancelation only a few years ago, series creator James Duff has spoken about his interest in the possibility of a Major Crimes spin-off series down the road.

Watch Major Crimes on Start TV

EVERY NIGHT AT 8 PM EASTERN/PACIFIC

MsVee 28 days ago
I love Major Crime, but I love Julio. Strong, lovable, passionate, but deadly when need be.
Theresa 1 month ago
Please play 2 hours of anyday now I love this show, & please put major crimes on 2 hours on Saturday & Sunday nights instead of 3 hours of ghost whispers that's way tomuch lol
Connie 1 month ago
I don't know when Major Crimes was produced, but I noticed that officers on the Swat Team had body cameras mounted on the side of their helmets. If they were a given piece of equipment when this series was produced, then why did it take so long for body cameras to become even a thought for other police departments??!!
faithwarriorsministry 1 month ago
I have been waiting for a bridge between the two series The Closer and Major Crimes. I miss Brenda!! And I represent many viewers that can not understand how that Brenda's own past team do not even mention her. Also what is up with her husband? Are they Divorced? You can not be expecting us to just forget Brenda. I watch the Closer before Major Crimes. So please bring Brenda back in another way. Maybe she got divorced and took a job that was for working for the FBI. Maybe that is what caused the divorced. But she should be talked about even if she is not on the show still. She is the history. Thank you!
Sorry Brenda is on the Closer before Major Crimes
Oldguy 1 month ago
I never saw the original prime time broadcast of either the Closer or Major Crimes and though I enjoy both series a lot, I prefer the Closer. No fault of Mary McDonnel, she's just great, but, it must be that I know more people like Brenda Lee than like Sharon Raydor.
SusanPerez 1 month ago
As much as I like The Closer I really love Major Crimes. I have bought all six seasons of Major Crimes. The reason is it's not just about Sharon but everyone has their own story of effects. Thanks